Sunday 11 August 2019

Fasting in Jainism

Dear friends,

Today I will be sharing some facts of Jain Principles [more particularly about doing fasting] and of my MOM. Generally I keep my personal life private, but couldn’t resist today.

Total principle of Jainism is built on having SELF CONTROL and one way of achieving it is by doing FASTING.

For Jains, MONSOON marks for the most prominent festive season as we celebrate the most important festival called PARYUSHAN. Every Jain celebrates this festival in their own way and the most common way is FASTING.

Here, by fast, I mean having no food for total day and is observed by drinking only boiled water, and that too within a stipulated period of the day i.e., before sunset.

Why Fasting ?
Primary objective is to have Self control on ones senses as the person who does this gives up attachment to his/her own body. Other objectives are to purify both the body and the mind i.e. salvation of soul. It also reminds of Lord Mahavira who spent a great deal of his life in FASTING.

Major types of Fasting ?
Among Jains, when a person stays without food for more than 192 hours (8 days), it s called ‘ATHAI' and one who stays without food for 720 hours (30 days) is called ‘MASKAMAN’

It was on July 12th, 2019, when my MOM decided to do for the first time ‘MASKAMAN’ (fasting for 30 days). To be very frank, I was totally against to her decision. But my MOM stuck to her decision. In fact for starting 7 days she also used to do household work along with Fast. This never dying spirit of my MOM forced me to change my opinion.

Yes, it was not easy for any one at home. I spend most of my time in either Teaching or Practice (July month), my sister in her employment and my father in managing his Business. For all of us, life line was - MOM ❤️

We all thought, this is the time where we should express our gratitude towards her by standing together and helping her in achieving her Goals.

I stopped all my classes or any work which I had, for last one month and used to be totally at home after 3.30 pm, looking after her.

My Sister who used to get up every day in the morning around 5.30 am (sometimes even earlier) and manage all house hold work apart from cooking [break-fast, lunch and Dinner] along with her Job.

My Dad managed all outside works wherever possible.

We all did our best to ensure that, she does this fast in a peaceful manner.

However from 25th day of her fasting, things were very difficult. Regular Vomits, breathing problem etc. were at peaks. But my MOM did not give up as usual. She faced all these hurdles as her Vision was very clear.

And I am glad to inform you that yesterday she could complete her 30th Fast and today she broke her fast. I know things will take time to settle.

These 30 days were very emotional for me, can’t forget them and can’t express them in words as I am sure, I may break down even while typing.

I thank all those people (relatives/ friends) who motivated my MOM in achieving her Goal either by personally visiting to house or over phone calls. It meant a lot. Humbled by your kind gesture.

In these days my love towards my sister has increased by 1000 times. Cannot recognize, she is the same girl with whom I have grown up as I have seen only her childish & notorious part, but when the time required she stood up to the task and behaved in a matured manner.

This fasting had taught me many things in life. Started concentrating on exercise, having a disciplined life style ( no outside food, no late night food, sleeping early, getting up early etc).

To my MOM : 
Ek hi toh dil hai Mummy, kitni baar jeetoge? ❤️

माँ बाप का दिल जीत लो कामयाब हो जाओगे।
वरना सारी दुनिया जीत कर भी हार जाओगे !

Want to write many things, but don’t want this post to be too Senti.

Only thing I can say about my Family is - I love you. ❤️

    

1 comment:

Probable questions for EIS and SM for Nov 2023 exam by CA CS Praveen Jain

  Hello guys, Probable questions for EIS and SM Paper are now available on our app. Click on the link to subscribe : Questions link Also re...